(for about 30 pieces)
- 30 dkg of all purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of rum
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 5 tablespoon of white wine
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- A bit less than a teaspoon of salt
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
- Oil for frying
1. In one bowl combine all dry ingredients (flower, sugar, salt) and all the
rest in another, mix by hand (fork) until smooth and add to dry mixture.
2. Knead (take your time - about 10 min) until the
dough gets very smooth (no air bubbles). The
dough will stick to your hands at first. Sprinkle
them with flour and keep kneading. When the
dough is ready it does not stick to your hands
anymore. Shape in a round and cover with a
bowl or wrap it in waxed paper (below).
3. Let it rest for at least 30min.
4. On a floured surface roll the dough about 1/8
5. With a cutting wheel cut out the rectangles
(about 4x2 inch). Into each rectangular cut two or
three slits - start and finish cutting about ½" from
the edge of the rectangles (edges of the rectangle
have to stay intact).
6. Heat the oil.
7. Grab one of the stripes or twist the rectangle
any way you want (which will make the
rectangle look funny) and put it into the hot oil
(around 325 degrees F). Add more rectangles if
you have room. Fry the rectangles on one side
till golden brown, than turn them over (with a
fork, or a spoon,…). When golden on both sides,
take the rectangles out and put them into a
strainer that is lined with paper-towel which
will soak up the extra oil. Repeat the process
with the rest of the dough.
8. Sprinkle rectangles with the powdered sugar
while still warm.
Upon several requests I decided to make two posters (one vertical and one horizonstal) that you will be able to frame and hang
on your kitchen walls. Just click on it and you will be able to order one.